Saturday 30 November 2013

The Clutha tragedy

I was in Glasgow last night, about five minutes away from the helicopter crash. I didn't see or hear anything, and I'm glad I didn't. I would probably never have slept again. I was in the Central Bar, on the top level of Glasgow Central Station.

I was also in a pub, Lorimers in Bishopton, when those incompetent terrorists tried to blow up Glasgow Airport. I probably shouldn't go to pubs. But thank anything you hold holy or not for incompetent terrorists. You don't want to bump into the competent kind.

As I said in my last post, I was a musician in a previous life. I never played at the Clutha. It's a tiny wee place and I get a bit claustrophobic in tiny wee places that are always so busy, so I never went, but neither did I avoid it. Glasgow musicians are currently moving to set up a tribute night, because there is no better way to pay tribute the to Clutha's heart and soul than with music. If you can get involved - even if you can lend a battered old speaker or amp - please do.

I'm a proud Paisley woman. You don't have to go far to find that out. But Paisley people stand with anybody in bother, and with all my heart and soul I wish all the injured a full and speedy recovery. I wish solace for those who have lost someone. And I wish peace to those who are still waiting to hear if their loved ones are alive or dead. Much as Paisley people swat at Glasgow and jokingly tell it it's rubbish, I hope Paisley stands with me on this. It's not the town I think it is if we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment